INNOVACT is supported by the European Union with the ambition of diffusing its regional policy experience and good practices in Latin America; and to prepare and develop further cooperation between regional authorities and specialised agencies on innovation policy decision-making and governance from EU and Latin American border regions. The specific objectives are:
- To facilitate the sharing of information and lessons between European and Latin-American cross-border regions on promoting cross-border cooperation, innovation systems, clusters and competitiveness,
- To identify and develop strategies, action plans and concrete projects or programmes for the development of cross-border value chains,
- To stimulate and contribute to a learning process based on concrete examples and best practices.
INNOVACT supports cross-border cooperation and innovation in four CELAC border regions, located in ten countries:
- Mexico - Guatemala
- Colombia - Ecuador
- Colombia – Peru
- Peru - Chile
- Ecuador - Peru
- Argentina - Paraguay - Brazil
- Bolivia - Peru
In each of these regions INNOVACT establishes contacts and an active knowledge transfer process between CELAC and European partners from government, administration, business, science and civil society.
Activities in support of the achievement of these goals include:
- Provision of expert support to Latin-American cross-border regions in the process of developing a cross-border innovation and/or productive development strategy
- Organisation of regional/national conferences with workshops to bring stakeholders together and facilitate learning processes
- Organisation of study visits to Europe for cross-border region stakeholders and partnering opportunities between EU and Latin-American regions
- Implementation of capacity building measures such as ad-hoc training sessions, webinars, and conferences
- Development of an on-line platform and repository with relevant knowledge including best practice and expert database
The first phase of the INNOVACT project ran between May 2017 and September 2018. Activities were delivered at the regional level in line with the following schedule.
The second phase of the INNOVACT project, which welcomed three new cross border regions, was launched in January 2019 and will end in April 2020.
The INNOVACT project is sponsored by the European Union in the framework of its bilateral cooperation with the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC). Funding for the project has been allocated by the European Parliament, while the management of the project is under the responsibility of the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Regional and Urban Policy. In addition, INNOVACT is supported by the following institutions and organisations:
A consortium of partners led by Technopolis Group, in collaboration with Spatial Foresight, Competitiveness, Tecnalia, WAAT, the Association of European Border Regions (AEBR) and the European Regions Research and Innovation Network (ERRIN) are responsible for implementing the project.